UK HipHopEd

Since I started teaching, I've used any opportunity that I can find to fuse education with hiphop. As an English and Media teacher, there are plenty of ways to do it. The poetry, message and oral delivery of hiphop make it perfect for English studies, while the culture, representation and business side make it completely suitable for Media studies. 

Until I joined twitter, I didn't realise how big the hiphop education movement was. But, with the funny way that twitter unites the like-minded, I've found a fantastic hiphop fam. The UK branch of hiphop educators (hosted by @rapclassroom) have held a UK #HipHopEd chat for the last three weeks, and I'm not ashamed to say that it has been brilliant! Here are some things that make it work:

MAKING LINKS
The use of the hashtag #HipHopEd helped me to connect with even more interesting, inspirational hiphop teachers from both sides of the Atlantic.

SHARING MOTIVATIONS
It's been great to hear how, and why, teachers choose to bring hiphop into their classrooms. Some common ideas:
  • A shared culture.
  • Engaging with what our students know and love.
  • A motivation for the disengaged.
  • Great for language skills.
  • Allowing the voices that are marginalised by our curriculum to be heard.
HUMOUR
Unlike other educational chats, HipHopEd gives space for humour and fun. It's very informal and free of the stuffiness of other chats I've been involved in. I have to give special props to @poetcurious for his comedic element!

UNDERSTANDING and AGREEMENT
Along with a lack of humour, other educational twitter chats can create divisions between teachers, this can lead to an 'I'm right, you're wrong' vibe which distracts from the whole point - learning and sharing ideas. In UK #HipHopEd, the contributors have been brought together through a common ground that is more specific than us just being teachers. Hiphop invites a set of shared ideologies, this understanding creates more meaningful interactions. 


Our final UK #HipHopEd chat is tomorrow, the topic is 'I'm a HipHop teacher. Who am I?' If you want to hear our answers, tune in on Wednesday 14th March at 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment