American Dreaming: 1. Nola

I'm itching. Don't worry, it's not contagious, it's more metaphorical. I need to visit the 'States. It's been a long time since I've been, 6 years in fact, and I'm craving a slice of American Pie. A road trip is on the cards for my 30th next year...

My love afair with the place started at a young age. I lived there with my mum between the ages of 1 and 3. We shacked up in a Kansas trailer with my Auntie Annie and my 2 cousins. Our mothers, two British single mums, making their own American Dream, with us in tow. I'm not making this up, look at how they dressed us!



These early memories are scattered and fading, but several trips since have kept me in check. Until now. Family life, work and lack of funds have kept me away these past few years, but musical nostalgia has taken over and I'd like to share some memories with you.

As always, my memories are underlined, highlighted and emboldened by the music that accompanied them. So for the next few posts (I can't commit to a daily blog) I will post a memory with a link to a couple of songs. Starting in the dirty south.

1. Nola

I've been in a swinging kinda mood today, musically that is! Watching Janelle Monae at Glastonbury over the weekend, reminded me of a night in New Orleans in 1998. A car load of us drove from Jackson, about a four hour drive. I was a sixteen year old British kid, fresh out GCSE exams, on a road trip with my older, way cool, American cousin and her friends. It was wicked! I didn't really know what to expect from New Orleans, but the tone of the night was set when we used the car as a dressing room to glam up. As my cousin drew stocking seams on the back of her thighs with an eyeliner pencil, I knew this was gonna be good!


We went to the House of Blues to watch swing band, 'The Big Bad Voodoo Daddies'. I was surprised at how easy it was to blag my way in, pretending to be 18 and knocking back drinks purchased by my over 21 'chaperones!'. Everybody looked so cool to me then - Zoot Suit Boys and Pin Up Girls. I tried, miserably, to swing dance and failed; too much foot work for my liking.

The music from the show seemed to spill out into the streets, as we headed down to the French Quarter and Bourbon Street for my Nola initiation. Hurricane cocktails, dancing in the street, mystifying the locals with my exotic Britishness! One of those nights that stays with you forever.


So here's the track. It's not one I'd listen to on a regular, but memory-laden when I do. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment